Sunday, 5 August 2012

Nut Sponge (Gluten Free Lactose Free LowFODMAP))

Even Hypoglycemics need cake!  This recipe uses a traditional Gluten Free substitute, ground almonds.  I've tweaked the ingredients here to make it less sweet and more hypoglycaemic friendly too, although next time I make it I think I will use even less sugar and load in more nuts or even some fruit.  I've lost my sweet tooth!


140g Baking Margarine
100g Caster Sugar
3 large eggs
50g Rice flour
100g Ground Almonds
20g Milled Flax Seeds
10 hazelnuts
handful of flaked almonds
1 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder


Preheat the oven to 180c/ 350f/ gas mark 4


Grease the cake tin, dust with rice flour and line with greaseproof paper (or use a non-stick loose base tin).


Cream the margarine, gradually add the sugar and beat until very pale.  Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, and beating well to stop the mixture curdling.  Add the flour and baking powder then mix in. Add the ground almonds and flax seeds and mix into a smooth paste.


With the back of a large knife, crush the hazelnuts and chop coarsely.  Add to the mixture, stirring with a spoon.


Spoon into a cake tin and cook for 20-25 minutes.


PS.  I forgot to add the baking powder to the cake in the photo and it came out just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment